A Monitor configures a product search, its schedule and screening automation settings, and what teams get to screen and QC results.
In MLM-AI, a Monitor defines the product search and how results will be screened. With it you can define:
- The search terms to include in the query (ex: product name and relevant synonyms).
- What literature databases to search.
- How often should results be produced (weekly, daily, or on demand).
- Permissions: what teams will perform reviews.
- Notification and automation to be carried out by MLM-AI.
Watch the walk through below to learn more about configuring search strategies in MLM-AI using Monitors:
To create a new monitor, click on Monitors tab. Once you are on the Monitors tab click the "+ Add Monitor" button.
Click - Add Monitor button
Once you click on Add Monitor, a new setup page will open as shown below. Alternatively, or chose to Copy the definitions from an existing monitor if you wish to replicate existing configuration settings.
Give your new monitor a name: e.g. Oxytocin
A new setup page open once you click on Add Monitor
To add search terms just enter the product name or compound in the keyword or compound field. This will auto-populate a list of synonyms to choose from in the box below titled Available synonyms. You can select the synonyms from the list or click on select all. After that click on "Add Selected".
Your selected terms will appear in the "Chosen Search Terms" box. This is the final list that will be used when searching for the product. The search strategy is OR-based.
To sanity check your search terms, click on "View this search in PubMed" to open up a PubMed query that includes all the search terms (OR-based query).
Optionally users can chose to add a secondary list of words. MLM-AI will indicate when a match is present with text highlights and with the "Keyword" tag.
Select the "Apply user defined keyterms" checkbox to enable the keywords list:
MLM-AI automatically loads data from various literature sources. Select which ones to use when searching with this monitor as shown below.
You can also customize search schedule the Monitors to run periodically (weekly or daily) or on demand. When a monitor runs on a schedule, "Day Zero" is the weekday when results will be produced (if monitor runs weekly). "ETA for Completion" specifies a number of days expected for screening completion.
Sources and Search Schedule
This section assigns teams to screening stages, giving users permissions to update decisions on incoming abstracts.
- 1.Team Assignment
Team Assignment and Workflow - Review Settings
2. Special Situations and Exclusions
When users save their screening decisions, they can select categories for exclusions and special situations. The selections are multi-choice and come pre-populated with values typical for ICSR screening.
The values can be configured per your workflow: existing entries can be removed and customized as needed.
Workflow - Review Settings
Additional settings control monitor behavior on automatic screening and date searches
For high volume screening workloads, users can configure automated screening based on AI tags. Pre-screened results receive a corresponding exclusion and are always available in MLM-AI Review details for inspection.
- When more than one INCLUSION setting is used together, MLM-AI will accept any of the chosen criteria for inclusion.
The following settings control how dates are applied on search results:
- Include abstracts found by publication date - searches the same date range matching the publication date. This option is useful to maintain correspondence to existing manual search strategies.
- Discard publication dates older than 60 days - if the difference of an article first seen date and publication date is older than 60 days, results are discarded. This option is useful to avoid spurious results from "blanket" publication of journals going back many years.
Notifications can be sent to team members assigned to a monitor when a review is ready and after any review status changes with the setting:
An article can be sent from the review screen to anyone on an approved list of recipients by email when this setting is toggled on.
Custom screening workflows can be configured at monitor level, affecting only reviews created for this monitor.