Screen, save decisions and annotations for an article.
In this page, users can screen and record decisions for retrieved results, supporting different workflows such as:
- Article decisions for ICSR, aggregate reporting and signal detection.
- Updates to the highlighted text captured from the abstract, to be used as information on the later stages of processing a case.
The Article screening page displays abstract details (title and contents) and a side bar with navigation, highlighting and input fields for recording decisions:
Article Screening Page
Tip: To make more room for abstracts at the screening page try collapsing the left menus. See the navigation help page for tips on how to do that.
MLM-AI automatically annotates the abstract for patient information, special situations, medications, etc. You can toggle highlights on/off for these annotations to help screen abstracts quicker.
The highlighter toolbox
- Any identifiable patients immediately found in the abstract can be found with the patient highlighter:
Identifiable patients may also be found in the full text of the article (but not the abstract) depending on the type of study. The suspected case AI tag is used to predict such occurrences. See more details in MLM-AI Concepts
- Sections of interest relate to passages in the abstract where adverse events descriptions are likely to be discussed
- The Target highlighter indicates the target product, while the Medications highlighter indicates all other medications mentioned in the abstract.
- The special situation highlighter will indicate any occurrence of terms related to pregnancy, elderly or pediatric uses, occupational exposure, drug misuse, etc:
When screening is done, add results and click Submit. This will also save any changes to annotations. The decision pane provides a number of options to suit your workflow:
- The Serious Event, Aggregate Reporting and Safety Signal checkboxes to mark articles of interest for later reporting
- Select one or more special situations relevant to the abstract
- Select one or more categories (exclusions)
- When the review decision is "Not ICSR", selecting at least one category is mandatory
- You can optionally add free text commenting on your decision
Drop down values for categories and special situations are configurable. Learn more in the Monitor Configuration section.
When saving screening decisions, users can type into the drop down to narrow the available options:
Selecting Next Article on Submit using the settings toolbox will automatically move to the next article to screen after saving a decision.
- A green lock means the article has been locked by the user and editing is allowed
- A red lock means the article is locked by another user, editing the article is not allowed.
After a configured number of seconds, users will see a prompt warning the lock on the page is about to expire. This ensures articles don't remain locked indefinitely:
Users can modify the annotations presented by MLM-AI and save their changes. This information can be used in later stages of case management.
The highlighter toolbex on the right-side menu allows users to add and remove annotations as needed:
- Select the "editor" tool and select text with the mouse anywhere in the abstract to display the annotations pop-up
- Select the "eraser" tool and select any highlighter to remove it
The Data tab summarizes captured terms by category.
- Removing a term from this page will remove all the annotations for that term
- Clicking the Reset button restores the original annotations captured by MLM-AI
Any changes will be saved together with the article decision when user clicks the Submit button.
Additional information about the article such as authors, journal and publication date are available from the "Details" tab. This tab will also provide external links to the article and full text (if freely available).
From this screen articles can be shared out to an approved (to add to this list please contact your system administrator) list of recipients using the button highlighted below:
All decisions saved by users or automatically generated by MLM-AI will be timestamped and recorded in the article's audit log ("Audit Log" tab):
Audit Log tab in Abstract detail
Use the Attachments tab to upload any content relevant to the screening process, such as full text PDFs purchased, or translations.
When screening for cases, it may be useful to also record specific adverse reactions identified in the article. Reaction data can be directly exported as an E2B XML file, for case creation into a safety database.
- In the Reactions tab you can create one or more reactions corresponding to the article.
- Reaction details are free-text, pre-populated annotations extracted from the article abstract are also available for convenience.
- Optionally, users can record a reference Case ID, once the case has been processed in the safety database.
Reactions are exported into the "E2B" export format only for articles with a confirmed ICSR decision (See also Custom Workflows).